Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Recipe: The Deines Shake

I'm sitting here drinking my favorite breakfast shake, so I thought I'd share the recipe. My friend Caren calls it The Deines Shake, but we got the recipe at the State Fair of Texas a few years ago, when we sat at the Vita-Mix tent for hours. Not joking - we were mesmerized!

We didn't buy a Vita-Mix that day, but we dreamed about it for the entire year, and purchased one the following year. We use it at least once a day, and sometimes 3-4 times a day. It was one of the best purchases we've ever made.

At the risk of this sounding like an ad for Vita-Mix, there's one more thing I have to say about it. It doesn't leave any ice chunks in shakes at all, so you may need to adjust the amount of ice in the recipe if you're using a blender. George and I also put veggies in our shakes (carrots, kale, sweet potato, etc.), because the Vita-Mix completely blends them and you can't taste them at all. You probably won't want to try that with a blender. I also sneak in flax seed and omega 3 oil.

The Deines Shake
1 cup milk (we use rice milk)
6-8 ice cubes
1 packet hot chocolate mix (I never use this much, and often use half chocolate protein powder, half hot chocolate mix)
1 spoonful of peanut butter
1 banana

Add all ingredients to blender and blend until ice chunks are gone.

Enjoy!

No comments: