Monday, April 20, 2009

Still Singing "Great is Thy Faithfulness" - 1 Year Later


Reese has been in our lives for one year now, and he has given us a joy we've never known before. Our hearts just melt each time we look at his sweet little face. He makes us laugh and turns the mundane into fun.

But it has been a difficult year. The first few months seemed to be full of unending problems: an early entrance into the world, projectile spit-up, projectile poop, pumping, crying - it wasn't just Reese shedding tears, sleepless nights (Wait, still have those!), teething, pumping, thrush, 2 bouts of mastitis, pumping, etc. There were honestly days when I didn't think I would survive. There were days when we thought, "What have we done?"

Once again, the Lord has been faithful to provide for us, and we've made it through the struggles with His help. He has been more generous with us than we deserve, and has used the thorns to draw us nearer to Him.


I am especially thankful that He has allowed me to nurse Reese for a full year. I
never thought we'd make it this far. It has simply been one of the best accomplishments of my life. (I know that sounds silly, but if you've ever nursed a baby before, you understand.) I'm so thankful that George has been supportive of me, as I couldn't have done it without his help. And Jan, thanks for letting my cry on your shoulder so many times. I'm glad we've been able to enter motherhood at the same time!

Reese's first birthday was bittersweet. A celebration of surviving the first year, yet a goodbye to babyhood. (Is that a word?) It was definitely a year we'll never forget - I hope.

I don't want to forget a single moment of our first year as a family of three.



More birthday pictures coming soon!

4 comments:

Kasey said...

what a precious baby, and kudos to you for hanging in there.
xo

The Acosta Family said...

You are a rock star Momma! I'm still nominating you for the Golden Udder awards...

Love you lots,
J

Liz Harrell said...

What a sweet little boy, and such a precious blog post. :)

cotedetexas said...

I nursed my baby - just turned 18 yrs old :( - for over 10 months until she discovered that if she bit me - I would scream out - and she would crack up laughing. it became such a game I had to give it up becuase that little girl could bite!!! so yes - I understand how wonderful nursing is and what a great accomplishment it is and how it brings you so close to your baby. I never understand when women say they couldn't nurse beause the baby didn't "take" to it. very weird to me.

AND - thank you so much for your so kind comment to me today!!! much appreciated, to say the least.